You’ve spent countless hours at the gym and rigorously stuck to a diet regimen all for this one moment on stage! Your physique is at the very best it can be, your diet has been impeccable and now it’s time to take first place just as you deserve!
Judges have the job of inspecting and analyzing a lineup of nearly flawless bodies, which often leads them to rely on the minor details to make the final decision. While these six helpful tips might seem so miniscule, they really enhance the total package that you are presenting. Trust us when we say, it is worth the extra effort to perfect what seems to be the small details.
1. Nail your Posing Routine!
Learn how to pose for your body and remember—practice makes perfect! It’s most important to think about what poses hide your weaknesses but showcase your strengths. Remember, your posing is how you are presenting yourself to the judges! Have no idea where to start? HINT: Meet with a posing coach! Your coach can be the first to tell you the perfect pose to fit your body type.
2. Find a Suit that Flatters You
Months of hard work in the gym and in the kitchen can be ruined simply by wearing the wrong suit—but luckily, the designers & staff at Saleyla are here to help! We know this part of the process can be daunting since there are so many options, but we always like to say, this is the FUN part! Picking the right suit for you requires a few key components:
- Color: Make sure the color of your suit flatters your skin tone and hair color (but also keep in mind, you will be bronzed and beautified by show date!)
- Top Style: The most important thing to remember for picking the right top style is the size of your breasts. Are you bustier? Then we recommend the halter style. Are you a bit smaller in the top region? We recommend getting a size up in the triangle top, that way there is extra room for additional padding if needed.
- Bottom Style: We offer 4 different styles of back coverage: full coverage, moderate coverage, rio coverage and rio pro cut
- Rhinestone Connectors: From loops & circles to hanging or chain connectors—the possibilities are endless! Connectors are a fun way to add a little pizazz to your already beautiful suit.
- Stonework: Want to enhance your suit with some added bling? You came to the right place! We can completely customize your suit with a few stones or a rhinestoned covered suit! Stonework is yet another way to express yourself to the judges and stand out among the other competitors on stage!
Still overwhelmed by the thought of picking the right suit for you? Don’t worry—Saleyla’s knowledgeable staff can help you find the right cut, color and connectors for your suit to fit your body!
3. Plan for a Tan
IMPORTANT: Test multiple tanning companies and their products before using them on competition day! A dark competition spray tan is applied to highlight muscle definition. Choosing the right product or tanning company can make the difference between a discolored, streaky mess to a smooth, even color!
4. Choose a Hairstyle that Works Best for You
Although longer hair typically presents better, it is all about your facial structure and what looks better on you. The color and condition of your hair is not something the judges will miss either —and remember, those stage lights magnify just about everything. Try out a few different hairstyles and make sure to take pictures! If there is still room in your overall competition budget, we recommend spending the extra money on a Brazilian Blowout. This often calms frizzy, dry or overly curly hair with smoothness and an unforgettable shine!
5. Perfect your Stage Makeup
Stage makeup is much different than the everyday or even “girl’s night out” makeup routine that you already have nailed! If you applying the makeup yourself, don’t forget to match your foundation to your spray tan, which is likely 4-5 shades darker than your natural skin tone. Don’t match your eye shadow color to your suit, instead choose a color that enhances your facial features. Most importantly, remember to go heavier than you normally would because stage lighting can sometimes dim the appearance of makeup.
If you happen to have the budget for it, hire a competition makeup professional. Take notes about what makeup brands and colors they use for the next time you want to recreate your winning look!
6. Choose the Right Bling
Sometimes half the fun in competing is the glitz & glamour of it all! Wearing rhinestone jewelry or rhinestone studded shoes should be the final touches to the already perfect package you have created. With that being said, stage jewelry should add to your overall look, but never take away by drowning your hard work. Add a few small touches to your overall look, and voila! Your ready to step out on stage with confidence and pride!